Vietti Barolo Monvigliero 2019


In stock
View Maker
Piedmont, Italy
97 points


The hillside vineyard of "Monvigliero" has long held its prestigious status as the most revered cru in Verduno, and indeed, one of the most prized throughout the entire Barolo winemaking region. It boasts a rich combination of limestone and clay-enriched soil, embellished with the presence of Marls of Saint Agatha, all framed by a south/south-western exposure. Nestled at an altitude of approximately 240 meters above sea level, the vines here have an average age of 44 years, and the vineyard is densely planted with around 4500 plants per hectare.

The 2018 vintage marked the debut of this monumental Vietti cru.

In terms of winemaking, the grapes were carefully hand-harvested on October 8, 2019. Monvigliero has a historical reputation as an ideal vineyard for whole-grape winemaking, comprising approximately 60% of the process. The remaining 40% involves destemming and crushing the grapes before transporting them into stainless steel tanks for maceration and alcoholic fermentation. After a five-day period of cold soaking, the temperature is elevated, initiating fermentation, which lasts for about four weeks in the steel tank while in contact with the grape skins and undergoing regular pump-overs. This meticulous approach encompasses a cold soak and post-fermentation maceration, following the traditional submerged-cap method. Subsequently, malolactic fermentation took place in wood.


97 points
Monica Larner

This is the wine Luca Currado and Elena Penna are most excited to present. And because this charming couple would leave the helm of the winery shortly after my visit with them, I like to consider the 2019 Barolo Monvigliero a symbolic send-off. Making Nebbiolo from Monvigliero is often a question of technique more than anything else, they tell me, and the learning curve is arduous. This wine sees 60% whole cluster fermentation in a single vat. Having some destemmed grapes makes fermentation easier to control. Family friend Fabio Alessandria of Comm. G.B. Burlotto offered tips on how to avoid volatile acidity or other problems with long maceration times. In fact, Vietti was able to acquire directly from Fabio Alessandria their 8,000-square-meter parcel in Monvigliero located at 300 meters in elevation on a high plain. "He passed the ball to us," says Luca Currado. Drink 2025 - 2050.

97 points

The 2019 Barolo Monvigliero is stunning. What a wine. Rich, heady and explosive, the 2019 is a gorgeous, spherical Barolo that dazzles right out of the gate. Aromatically broad and expansive, the 2019 fleshes out beautifully in the glass. Bright red-toned fruit, orange zest, mint, spice and bright saline notes saturate the palate on the back end. The 2019 is a total stunner, even in this stage of youthful austerity. It comes across as a bit rustic compared to the 2018, but the final verdict on that won't be evident for at least a number of years. This is the first vintage that includes a second parcel in Monvigliero. In the cellar, one lot saw submerged cap maceration, the other did not. Drink 2029 - 2049.

96 points

Lots of dried flowers on the nose with hibiscus and raspberry character. Full-bodied with salty brine undertones to the pure fruit and citrus flavors. Well-integrated tannins. Transparent. Clear. 60% whole cluster fermentation with natural yeast. Vegan. Best after 2028.


Serving Temp.
14-18 °C
Cellar until
2028 - 2050
Food pairing
Red meat, lobster, game, pot roast, and mature cheeses.

Tasting Profile

The nose is intense yet delicate, with notes of ripe red berries and fine spices.
The unmistakably elegant hints of wild strawberry, rose and cherry are striking on the palate. The tannins are rounded, silky and persistent. Every ounce of the harmony and balance of this cru⁠—one of the Barolo region’s most special⁠—stands out. The finish reveals light, fresh and fine spiced notes. All the qualities that set Barolo Monvigliero apart lie in its aromatic complexity and depth of flavour.

Vietti Barolo Monvigliero 2019

Vietti Barolo Monvigliero 2019

Suggested for you

Exclusive wine,
exceptional service.

The Reserve Cellars. ABN 89621364994 Liquor License 196883. The Reserve Cellar supports the responsible service of alcohol. It is against the law to sell or supply alcohol to, or obtain alcohol on behalf of, a person under the age of 18 years. WARNING: Under the Liquor Act 1992, it is an offence to supply liquor to a person under the age of 18 years (Penalty exceeds $6,000). for a person under the age of 18 years to purchase or receive liquor (Penalty exceeds $500).

Facebook logo Instagram logo LinkedIn logo